Friday, December 30, 2005

Great Photo

Is it just me or is this the greatest photo ever? The caption from the website where I saw it read: "Help me, Albert Hubo - you're my only hope!"
(www.engadget.com)

We saw the Hubo robot at a technology fair earlier this year and it was impressive. From a roboticist's point of view, Hubo is revolutionary in that it can walk, shake hands and dance all on its own. On the other hand, to the luddite, it's far from a threat. The demonstration we saw was on a platform with carpet and we believe Hubo tripped. There was a crash that sounded like a car had hit the stage and we saw Hubo's handlers frantically working to get him back to an upright stance. It would have been a great Philip K. Dick moment if Hubo would have said "I'm too heavy. Just leave me here." For the record, the creepy Albert Einstein face doesn't make the robot smarter (in case the developers are reading this), just more creepy.

Finally, doesn't it look like the president is conscientiously trying to make eye contact with the robot? He has been meticulously trained in diplomatic protocol. This proves that he's just a higher-functioning robot.

0 comments:

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP