The Great IPA Test (Hop Juice)
I love hops. India Pale Ale (IPA) beers tend to have that distinct, aromatic flavor. For me, the more flavorful the hops, the better. And so, hearing that Two Brothers Brewery was about to launch their double IPA for a limited time (due to limited availability of these special hops), I was pretty determined to try it. I also thought it would be interesting to check out a few other IPAs from other breweries for a comparison.
The first entry is probably where the bar will be set. Hop Juice from Two Brothers Brewing is the current standard bearer. The launch event was only okay, with limited food choices and a semi-lame band that was too loud for normal conversation. Also, much of our time there was spent waiting in a line for either food or beer. There were too few places to sit, but for once there seemed to be plenty of bathrooms.
The beer was fantastic. Hop Juice is a double India Pale Ale. Someone in line asked me if I knew the difference between "double" and "imperial" when applied to IPAs. I do not. Do you? Either way, it's 11% alcohol (which I assume has something to do with the "double"), yet it's totally smooth. They poured 8-ounce glasses of it instead of the 12-ouncers of the other brews (also exquisite) and that was enough to set the hook.
I like hops in beer. A lot. According to Two Brothers, this strain of hops is harder to get, so it's a limited run for Hop Juice. I don't know if that's true or if they're just limiting supply to boost demand, but it's worth it either way. I got two bottles to take home after trying a glass of it at the event. I saw a few people walking away with 12-packs ($7.99 per 22-oz bottle!) which tells the tale. Were I a wealthier man, I'd have done the same.
Hop Juice lived up to my expectations, for sure. I'll weigh in on some other IPA varieties as I try them.


2 comments:
This is where you and I differ greatly in opinion. I really dislike hoppy beers (does that make me malty?) So much so that I won't even buy a brewery's variety pack if it contains an IPA.
Maybe my palette is such that a 'double' would be more appealing to me, but I doubt it.
Did you see the new 22 oz Goose Island bottles, btw?
They had the deuce deuces at the Hop Juice event. I love the Goose Island IPA, for the record, but I'm spoiling my next post! I think if everyone had the same taste, there'd only be one or two kinds of beer.
Post a Comment