Sunday, May 03, 2009

Draft N and Me

Well, I bit the bullet and got a Linksys WRT150n router to try out draft n. The big draw for me is not so much the throughput, but the Multiple In/Multiple Out (MIMO) antenna system. It's supposed to extend the range of connectivity, and so far, it does.

You can run a draft n router with b, g, or n adapters, and right now, all of our machines are running g. I can say that the connection to the computer in the basement (furthest from the router) is much better with the new router.

This new router is a refurb, so it was only $35. I think it has some connection errors. I have flashed the newest Linksys firmware but there are still fairly regular connection errors. The Windows "repair" function works every time, but we shouldn't have to do that more than once.

So, I'm hoping updating the firmware to DD-WRT is the answer here. I'm a little tentative because there are tons of admonishments warning of "bricking" the router. I guess it's pretty easy to render one useless. That's why I took a chance with the refurb, though.

0 comments:

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP